I offer an initial free, no obligation, 30-minute meeting session before we agree to work together. This is because I believe that it’s important for you to feel comfortable with me as your choice of counsellor. This isn’t an actual counselling session but I hope it will give you a good sense of me and how I might work with you. It’s a chance for you to tell me a bit about yourself and what brings you to counselling now, to ask any questions you might have and for us to talk about the process of counselling, for example, what client confidentiality is and what it means for you.
Please contact me if you’d like to arrange this.
How I work
Firstly I believe counselling is a collaborative process and my aim is to work with you so that you get the most out of our time together. I hope to offer you a safe and warm environment, a place where you don’t feel judged in any way. I’ve had my fair share of life experiences and hope that that brings a realness and authenticity to me as a counsellor.
My therapeutic approach is integrative – this means I bring together a variety of counselling theories, allowing me to adapt my approach and draw on the elements that I feel might work best for you. For example, I work with you exploring your thoughts and feelings about what is happening in your life currently but I also believe that the past very much informs the present, and so together we may start to link your current thoughts, feelings and patterns of relating to others, to your earlier experiences, including your childhood.
I have experience of working with adults facing a number of difficulties and concerns, and offer both short or long-term counselling.
I also offer the option of sandplay therapy (should you wish to try, no pressure!). Sandplay is a non-verbal way of working using a sandbox with toy figures and symbols to create scenes of miniature worlds that may reflect and give a visual representation to some of your inner thoughts, struggles, and concerns.
* Due to the current coronavirus situation I, like many others, have moved to working from home. This means I’m offering online video counselling (via Zoom – a secure video conferencing system) or telephone counselling for the duration of lockdown, and afterwards if this continues to suit you and your situation. *
Where and how much
My private practice is on St Cutherberts Street in the centre of Bedford.
Sessions are 50-minutes long, and usually once a week at the same time, however, I work with you to find a solution that’s flexible and suits you. This might mean, for example, working around your shift pattern or offering occasional online evening sessions so we can speak once your children are asleep.
- My standard fee is £45 per session.
- I offer concessions for students and those on low incomes – please ask.
- Certificate in Integrative Sandplay – ongoing
- Level 5 Postgraduate Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling (CPCAB)
- Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling (ABC)
- Level 2 Award in Understanding Substance Misuse (CPCAB) – ongoing
- BACP Certificate of Proficiency, Accredited Voluntary Register
- Certificates in Counselling Skills and Counselling Concepts (ABC)
- Introduction to Counselling Young People
- Training in sandplay therapy
- BA Hons: Fine Art
I’m a member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and am currently working through their accreditation process.